These are the covenants for those who seek greater challenges for themselves, and joining these covenants either increases the difficulty of the game as a whole or else allows access to special, more difficult areas. But this in no way means the members of this covenant are completely removed from online play, and in fact these players are often encouraged to seek out and defeat invaders to their world. Particularly cunning players in these covenants (or perhaps just those with a sense of irony) might even try turning the difficulty of their own world against invaders by consuming a Seed of a Tree of Giants.
Makes the game harder by increasing the damage dealt by enemies along with the health they have; essentially giving players a New Game+ feel without the need to play through the entire game to do so. Also disables all co-op play, but still allows you to invade or be invaded by other players. Beware when joining this covenant.
- Join this covenant by praying at the Victor's Stone in Majula.
- Initial Reward: Champion's Tablet.
- Rank 1 (Offer 10 Awestones): Great Magic Weapon.
- Rank 2 (Offer 25 Awestones): First Dragon Ring.
- Rank 3 (Offer 50 Awestones): Vanquisher's Seal.
- The Company of Champions covenant does not give exclusive access to any multiplayer items. Instead, it disables use of the White Sign and Small White Sign Soapstones, prevents the member from summoning other players and NPCs for assistance, and awards members with Awestones whenever they defeat an invader (either players or NPCs). Joining the covenant also adds Awestones as rare drop items to the loot drops of certain powerful enemies. Those who offer Awestones to the covenant are ranked on the Champion's Tablet according to how many they have donated.
Covenant of those who seek the Dark of the Abyss, members of this covenant offer Human Effigies to explore the Dark Chasms of Old throughout Drangleic. Those who do often come back out with Bonfire Ascetics and knowledge of rare and powerful Hexes. But the Chasms are full of many dangers in the form of powerful enemies and invading players, and reaching max rank in this covenant is considered one of the greater challenges in the game.
The boss of the Dark Chasm of Old is the Darklurker.
- Initial Reward: Abyss Seal.
- Rank 1 (Successfully clear one area of the Dark Chasm): Resonant Soul.
- Rank 2 (Light all three Braziers in the Dark Chasm): Great Resonant Soul.
- Rank 3 (Defeat the Darklurker): Climax, Xanthous Crown, Xanthous Overcoat, Xanthous Gloves, Xanthous Waistcloth.
This covenant is accessed by speaking with Darkdiver Grandahl three times in three different locations.
- In the Shaded Woods near the Shaded Ruins bonfire, go to the area with the large basilisk. Hang a right, so that you are looking back towards the direction you came from, and you should see two tower-like structures to the left, and a ruined building on the right. Straight down the center, at the end, there is a grassy patch with a boarded up hole. Walk onto the boards to fall in the hole and talk to him in his chair.
- In Black Gulch, there is a hidden ledge near the pools with burrowing worms and hand monsters. Drop down to find a forgotten door, and drop down again to another ledge beneath the door. The next ledge down has a tunnel leading to a large room with two faceless giants. Killing both giants yields a Forgotten Key and Soul of a Giant. This key can be used on the previously found door to access a small chamber containing Darkdiver Grandahl.
- In Drangleic Castle, near the King's Gate bonfire, there is a large room with six doors, three on each side, and 2 large statues at the furthest side. Lining the walls are a multitude of stone soldiers. Killing a stone soldier near one of these doors will open it; to find Darkdiver Grandahl, you must open the door on the farthest left and defeat the Ruin Sentinel inside. Jump down the hole in the center marked by the damaged floor, to the Under Drangleic Castle bonfire, and you can find Darkdiver Grandahl nearby.
NOTE: You can visit Darkdiver Grandahl in these locations in any order. As long as you speak with him in all three locations, he will invite you to join the covenant.
- The Pilgrims of Dark covenant does not have any exclusive multiplayer items. Instead, using either a Cracked Red Eye Orb or the Red Sign Soapstone while in a Dark Chasm of Old will modify their function, allowing covenant members to either invade or be summoned as an Abyss Spirit instead of a Dark Spirit. Defeating the host player or other Abyss Spirits will award players with a Human Effigy and a Bonfire Ascetic, which can be used to increase the difficulty of areas of the game and respawn the enemies, items, and bosses there. The White Sign Soapstone and Small White Sign Soapstone items are disabled while in a Dark Chasm, and players can neither summon other players for assistance nor be summoned themselves while there.