Things Betwixt Map
NPCs in the Things Betwixt
- x1 Estus Flask Shard (Behind statue)
- x2 Amber Herb
- x1 Cracked Red Eye Orb
- x1 Gold Pine Resin
- x2 Human Effigy (One given by the Three Firekeepers, and is used immediately)
- x1 Lifegem
- x1 Rusted Coin
- [NG+] x5 Rusted Coin
- x1 Small Smooth & Silky Stone
- [NG+] x3 Small Smooth & Silky Stone
- x1 Soul of a Lost Undead
- x1 Soul of a Nameless Soldier
- x1 Torch
- x1 Petrified Something (Drops from Red Phantom, spawns after lighting all scones)
Full Things Betwixt Walkthrough
After the opening cinematic, you find yourself under a stone gazebo surrounded by grass as a deprived undead. As you walk forward, and between the two rocks, you come up to another grassland where there are Prowler Hounds running quickly around. They do not attack you and tend to flee as you come near. They will attempt to remain hidden in the tall grass and will not follow to areas in which they're exposed. They will retaliate if you attack however, and drop 30 souls when killed. Instead of going straight ahead, hug the right mountain wall to the right in this area to find an arch of stone. Walking through this leads to a cliff area where you can find a corpse holding the first item of your playthrough: a Rusted Coin.
Head back and continue straight towards the big doors at the end, hugging the left side of the mountain. You'll notice a break, covered in bush, right before the wooden bridge. Head into it and follow the footprints to a pathway where you will find an Ogre (drops Stone Ring) guarding a corpse, holding a Gold Pine Resin. Since you have just started and are defenseless at this point, you won't be able to claim the Ring. However, aggroing and luring the Ogre a far enough distance away, will allow you to pick up the loot on the body, which can come in very handy in the not-so-distant future. Continuing along this path leads to a smaller wooden bridge crossing a stream. Cross it, and drop down to find a set of doors ahead on the left, and a bridge on your right. For now, look for the bushes in between yourself and the bridge and pass through it to reveal a path under the waterfall with a Small Smooth and Silky Stone.
Head back up, and into the house to trigger a cutscene with the three firekeepers. The cut-scene ends with you being asked your name, and upon entering a name for your character, another cut-scene occurs where you are given a Human Effigy. After her allusion to the effigy resembling you, you are then brought to the character creation screen and completing it earns the trophy/achievement Self Recollection. After character creation you start off in the main room of the house with your starting gear and gift equipped. There are four women present, three elderly and one younger, named Milibeth. Speaking with the younger one will shed some insight into the lore. Two of the fire keepers alternate between laughing and silence when spoken to. One of them seated at the table tells you to go on your journey and invites you back. Her implication of clean slate is in reference to the Soul Vessel which you will discover later. If you go up the stairs, you'll find a chest with a Human Effigy.
Walking out the door, you encounter a stone sign and a bonfire to the left. To the right of the door there is a cart hiding a corpse behind it. Break the cart to claim a Soul of a Lost Undead and a Torch. Lighting and sitting at the bonfire brings up the bonfire menu, where you can initiate travel, attune Spells, Burn items, and access the Item Box. Toggling at a bonfire will allow you to use a torch, which in turn can be used to light sconces later in the level.
Learning the Ropes
Go through the wooded tunnel straight ahead from the house and you come to a path with several mists on either side. The player can choose to enter the mists at this time which provides access to the game's tutorial. Each mist leads to a tunnel with several lessons inscribed in stone for the player to practice:
- 1st Mist Door - Teaches the attack function, target lock, dash, and critical hits from behind. The player winds through a short tunnel in the roots of the trees and out the other side. It is protected by several Hollows (they drop nothing). Climbing the small hill here leads to a corpse with a dagger. The player returns inside the tree where they learn to roll in time for the first hollow archer. Another stone will indicate how to switch weapons. A ramp is followed by a stone telling you how to back-step followed by two more hollows, one of whom is an archer. A corpse carrying a Lifegem is found in this area and another stone with instructions on how to use an item. A mist door follows which leads out of the tree to a higher level. A stone shows you how to use your camera. Using the camera reveals a ledge you can fall to with a corpse carrying a Soul of a Nameless Soldier. Another stone tells you to "light sconces with a torch". Before jumping down, go left, which leads toDyna & Tilo's nest where items can be traded. A ladder right next to the nest can be kicked down which brings you back to main path. Drop down though and get your souls and to light fire.
- 2nd Mist Door - On the right, illustrates how to two hand your weapon in the right hand, then another for the left hand weapon. The player again finds themselves in tunnels within a large tree. A stone tells you how to jump from a dash. Crossing a small gap in front of this stone leads to a corpse with 2x Amber Herb. Crossing the gap again to head back, you will see a ladder near the stone with the jumping instructions. Climbing this leads to a a ledge with three tutorial stones that instruct you to parry, execute a plunging attack and guard break. You can jump off the ledge opposite the ladder you came up and practice the plunging attack on a hollow below. Another is waiting to ambush you. A stone in this spot instructs you on doing a jumping attack. A wooden door off this room leads to small dead end room with a corpse with a Cracked Red Eye Orb. A mist door exits the main room and brings you to a bridge that crosses the main path in the tutorial. It terminates in a balcony with a sconce which will allow you to bring light to the next tutorial area. However, you will need to return to the bridge to jump down to the main path. Jumping down will lead you to the final gate.
- 3rd Mist Door - It is blocked by a petrified enemy, you will have to return later, when you have a Fragrant Branch of Yore. When you return and un-petrify this enemy you can enter the mist gate. You will find yourself in a large chamber (that you were just overlooking) with some 2 Basilisks on your side, a gap and another Basilisk and a Foreign Wanderer with a bow on the other side. Carefull, this Foreign Wanderer and the one down the hole have more health (480 in NG) than the others. Kill the Basilisks, kick the tree and kill the enemies on the other side. You will see a hole and below, 3 Basilisks and another Foreign Wanderer with a bow waiting for you. Drop down and kill them. Pick up the Estus Flask Shard from the body, go up the ladder and cross the mist. One hollow will be nearby and 2 Ogres will be on the beach guarding a coffin. Examining this coffin prompts the character to enter inside. The game cuts to a loading screen and when it returns you exit the coffin. With one small difference. Your character has now changed gender. Entering this beach area will spawn a Pursuer. The pursuer will vanish if you choose to leave the area and not fight. Note: If you don't kill the Pursuer and instead let him leave, he will respawn again after a short while when you use the coffin to change your gender.
In Scholar of the First Sin, lighting all of the braziers in Things Betwixt will cause a Dark Spirit to spawn near the entrance to the area; it will drop a Petrified Something when slain.
Leaving to Majula
You can visit Millibeth in the Fire Keepers hut and she will give you a Handmaid's Ladle for killing the 3 Ogres. Once back on the main path, continue on and you will come to the oceanside hub town of Majula.