Bonfires act as checkpoint and travel portals. Upon dying, the player will respawn at the last bonfire they kindled or rested at and lose the souls they were carrying. Players may also light torches at the bonfire, allowing them some light in dark areas. Players may teleport to any bonfire in the game that they have kindled. In SOtFS, Aldia will come out of the bonfire after you light the last of the four Primal Bonfires, then at the first bonfire in Undead Crypt and the Dragon Shrine bonfire.
Add or remove spell scrolls from attunement slots.
- The Attune Magic function will appear on the menu after acquiring a spell scroll (Hex, Miracle, Pyromancy, Sorcery)
- The starting classes which begin with a spell will have the Attune Spell function available immediately
Burning an item in a Bonfire gives effects as described in the table below.
- Increase the area's difficulty to the next NG level (So NG will become NG+, NG+ will become NG++)
- This effect is permanent, and carries over to subsequent play-throughs
- Allows the player to obtain items and secrets normally found in the next playthrough
- Add more enemies (new enemies will glow red like invaders)
- Increase damage dealt by all enemies in the area
- Increase maximum HP of all enemies in the area
- Respawn wooden (not metal) chests and items that were looted prior to burning an Ascetic
- Raise the Bonfire Intensity of the kindled bonfire by +1
- Create various other effects unique to each bonfire
|Sublime Bone Dust (Far Fire in Majula only)
- Increase the amount of HP restored by the Estus Flask by 50 (max +5 for 800hp)
- Prevents invasions and cooperative play for 30 minutes. NPC summons will remain available. Even if the player defeats an area boss, the effect will keep active until the end of time counting (confirmed on PC version)
- Use to deposit items at the bonfire. Items stored at a bonfire cannot be retrieved by characters on a different save slot
- Use this menu to travel to any kindled bonfire
- After talking to the Queen in Drangleic Castle, unkindled bonfires will be marked with "???" icons on the travel menu