Elana, Squalid Queen
|HP||9,280 | 12,992 (NG+)|
|Weakness (Velstadt)||Strike, Lightning|
|Weakness (Skeletons)||Strike, Fire|
|Weakness (Boar)||Fire, Bleed|
The Elana, Squalid Queen is an enemy in Dark Souls 2.
Elana, Squalid Queen Information
Elana, The Squalid Queen is a boss in Dark Souls 2. Elana is quite mysterious as she is very similar to another boss in Dark Souls II. She seems to be almost identical to Nashandra in terms of appearance and description, and like Nashandra she uses a long reach weapon (though not nearly as powerful) and a wide variety of hexes. She differs in that she can summon several skeletons or even an enemy wearing the same armor as the former boss of the Undead Crypt, Velstadt to assist her in attacks, as well as the small piglets seen in Majula.
From what we can see in her soul description she is almost certainly a fragment of Manus and seems to have played a role in the rise and fall of her kingdom, just like Nashandra of Drangleic. She sings in the Dragon Sanctum until you encounter her, then she will tell you to rot (this can vary from encounter) and will begin fighting you. She must be killed in order to fight Sinh, the Slumbering Dragon and get to the final bonfire in the DLC.
- First boss of the Dragon's Rest, encountered after the maze-like pit area filled with Black Drakeblood Knights.
- Soul of Elana, the Squalid Queen
- Souls: 54,000 (Standard Game) 108,000 (NG+)
|Attack Name||Attack Description|
|Staff Strike||Swings her staff in melee range, easily dodged and high damage.|
|Vertical Strike||Swings her staff vertically to hit the ground in front of her. The range of this attack is deceptive, as she will often move a bit forward while doing it, closing the gap between you.|
|Flame Swathe||Fires 1 or 2 Flame Swathes near the player, high damage if caught in the blast. Deals dark damage. Be careful should she casts 2, they will move a bit in your direction from two sides before exploding. This can be very dangerous if she already summoned Velstadt, for you do not have much space to roll and dodge into (the chance that you get caught in a blast or one of Velstadt's attacks is high).|
|Dark Blast||Blasts an area of dark energy when in melee range, high damage and moderate knockback.|
|Dark Shot||Fires 3-5 dark orbs at the player in a straight line, high damage each one that lands. Has weak tracking.|
|Affinity||Casts 3 orbs of homing dark orbs above her that fire off after a few seconds.|
|Summon Skeletons||Summons a group of skeleton warriors that can cause poison and bleed buildup.|
|Summons Velstadt, The Royal Aegis (or an enemy who has the same armor and weapon). Velstadt can also cause poison buildup, should his attacks connect, although he cannot use Dark Burst.|
|Summon Pigs||Summons a group of harmless pigs identical to those found in Majula.|
|Teleport||While this isn't necessarily an "attack", the mere execution of this move can be fatal to you. This move has little to no fore-tell, besides the animation itself, where she dissipates in a sandy smoke cloud (similar to the animation her summons and weapon have when they appear). Once her move is executed, she can directly appear anywhere in the map, and she will often directly follow with an attack. This is why it is an absolute priority to locate her as soon as she re-appears.
- If she re-appears far away from you, she will most likely directly cast Dark Shot or her Flame Swathe variant.
- If she re-appears at close range, she will most likely appear behind you and hit you in the back. As her melee attacks are easy to dodge, but deal high damage, this can be fatal to you if you don't see it coming. She can however also spawn right in front of you, where a melee attack is easier to dodge.
As you enter the fog wall, you will see Elana standing at the opposite edge of the arena. It takes a while for the actual boss fight to start, however, as she will only start the fight once she has noticed you and has summoned her halberdesque weapon from the ground. Run straight towards her once you've entered the arena, and get as much damage as you can on her, before the actual fight starts. After that, she is relatively easy to fight 1 on 1, with the exception of the hexes she occasionally casts. The real problem when fighting her is the fact that once she summons the battle can get a bit hectic. I almost always she will start zipping around rapidly once her summons are fighting. It is best to target the minions first, just make sure she doesn't jump behind you for a surprise attack or hex strike. After the minions are gone she will stand still and be easier to hit with melee attacks. Don't bother with elemental weapons or miracles, she seems nearly immune to it (I only tested with lightning, any have any problem with pyro?). Other than when she summons Velstadt the fight isn't all that hard, it just takes patience. All her attacks are well choreographed and most can be blocked or dodged with ease. Just make sure she or her minions corner you or surround you and you can solo or group kill her with time.
This boss has a lot of HP. I highly recommend that you summon the two nearby NPC's for this fight if you plan on mainly using spells, so that they can tank while you cast from a distance. It is also highly recommended that you bring plenty of items that give you additional spell casts. Once you enter the arena, you will approach the boss and let one of the NPC summons tank her. Spam her with any spells you have: Lightning spears, force, etc. She does not take much damage from lightning so it is a lengthy process. When she summons an enemy to aid her occasionally, you'll want to focus your attention on it to eliminate it from the equation as quickly as possible, but try to save your spells and fight it using melee since they are easy to dodge. Continue this process until the boss is dead!
This boss is extremely difficult for pure sorcerers owing to her huge amount of hit points, her magic resistance, and her recurrent summons. The best strategy, though still difficult, is to pre-cast crystal magic weapon before the fog gate and immediately hit Elana as many times as you can before she starts to turn. Try to keep behind her whenever possible and roll under her spear. Be aware that sometimes she swings it more than once or may teleport. If she teleports, immediately roll away to avoid her sudden attack. A good tactic for this fight is to never take your eyes off Elana as her attacks are relentless. If you see multiple "smoke" appear, she is summoning her skeletal assistants so use this time to hit her and then create distance or recast crystal magic weapon. Try to move from side to side avoiding the skeletons so that you can see Elana and wait for her to use her flame swathe variant or a similar spell to time when you attack the skeletons. Attack them after she casts her spell but you know you are safe and if possible when they attempt to attack you. If she summons Velstadt then prepare for a much more difficult fight. Create more distance and roll towards Velstadt when he attacks and then continue backward and time your attacks with spells when you have avoided one of Elana's attacks. Take your time and make sure Velstadt is dead before continuing as normal, a few crystal soul spears and soul spears should take him down. It is recommended to attack two-handed when you hit Elana as blocking is fairly useless but if she precasts her Affinity, create distance and prepare to use your shield. The key to this fight is to take your time and never take your eyes off Elana. If done correctly then you should be able to take her down after her third or fourth summon. Also be aware that when she does her close quarter dark blast, if you avoid it, you can get close enough to land a few good shots.
She is fairly resistant to magic damage so it will take a lot of your powerful spells to take her down. Make sure to carry herbs and be ready to munch them down. As soon as you are in range upon entering the fight fire off as many Crystal Soul Spears as you have equipped. Continue to stay at the edge of the lock-on range and fire away. She will mostly throw her flame swathe and trailing dark orbs attacks at you from this distance. If she summons skeletons, you will want to have a lower level sorcery available (like Great Heavy Soul Arrow) to take out the skeletons. You should be able to one-shot them if they aren't blocking. If she summons Velstadt, you can leave him alone and just focus on Elana. If he becomes a problem you will have to use some big spells on him as he has around 2000 hp. One problem you will have once she starts teleporting around will be the loss of lock when she moves. This will cause your spells to miss. Even with a couple of misses, you can take her down to about 300 hp with 3 Crystal Soul Spears and 15 Soul Spears. When she is summoning or during a darkstorm attack, you will have enough time to cast some of the longer spells like Soul Vortex.
Take Dark Orb(1 or 2) for the lesser summons and to do damage fast to Velstadt. Take Crystal Soul Spear or 2, Yearn and fill the rest of the slots with Soul Spears. I recommend the 3rd Dragon ring, Clear Bluestone ring +2 and Southern Ritual Band +2. Black hood if you want (didn't check if it is worth it but the headpiece will give you little gain no matter what you use). You will need an item to recover spell uses so don't forget to bring it. Summon ONE, and ONLY ONE, NPC if you can't get people to help - this is because the more summons you have the less damage you deal and you only need 1 tank. As soon as you enter and lock spam soul spears, not crystal, and try to keep her attention on you since if she is attacking you, your tank is not taking damage and her moves are easy to dodge if she is alone. She will then summon something. for me it was skeletons ->velstadt -> skeletons, kill the first wave of skeletons fast so you can focus on doing damage uninterrupted while you have the tank to keep you comfortable. when she summons velstadt, try to line yourself with both him and Elana so your spears damage both - THIS IS KEY. the whole point is to try to exploit the time you have while the NPC tanks their attacks to dish as much damage as possible to both. when the NPC dies, kill velstadt immediately with normal soul spears or dark orb depending on the situation, but the faster you can do it the better since the fight is only hard when both velstadt and Elana are alive and not just Elana and some minions. use yearn to keep skeletons at bay while you continue your offense on her, always dodge her moves as a priority, don't be greedy or impatient as you can learn pretty easily how many spells you can hit her within between attacks and stick to that number for each attack. one important detail is to take the opportunity of not being able to cast spells when you run out of stamina to use your item to recuperate spell uses as it kills 2 birds with one stone (or heal mind you). I pulled this off without much trouble on NG+++ but my stats are ridiculously high, otherwise, it would be a little harder. but as long as your main stats are covered it will be the same which is Int, Endurance, Attunement and if possible as much Vitality and Vigor as you can, all in this order. Also important, her spells can be dodged without rolling by moving normally, saving you precious stamina and time you can use to do damage to her. remember, this tactic will work based on dealing as much damage per second as possible and if she summons too many waves you will be locked out of resources, be it stamina or spells, as the chances for attack alone while not dying are few and far between leaving your mistakes to pile up fast.
- She is weak to magic based attacks particularly, then fire, then lightning and lastly dark as the least damaging. (tested with Longswords with exact AR in physical and element damage)
- A magic ice rapier buffed with CMW with ring of blades and Leo ring will do high damage to her and Velstadt, but is not effective against the skeletons
- She is immune to poison (Poison Mist does not affect her) and resistant to fire.
- When you see her summoning the Skeletons, unlock and cast Yearn at the Wall where she was standing in the beginning. All Skeletons will run there and stand at one point, making them an easy target for a slash attack.
- When you are fighting her solo she will nearly always summon Velstadt (at least on ps3). With one summon she alternates between Skeletons and Velstadt and with two summons she will almost always summon Velstadt. The more summons you have the less damage you will do, making the fight actually harder because they die mostly during the fight, leaving you to fight her alone while doing less damage and constantly having to deal with Velstadt.
- While she is summoning she is vulnerable for several seconds, take the chance and hit her as many times as you can.
- If you're taking Elana on, on your own; you will have to be extra cautious when she summons Velstadt. If you are running a rather fast build, applying a "Hit and Run" strategy on Elana, while completely evading Velstadt's attacks, might be more beneficial. Instead of focusing on Velstadt, lure him away from Elana, and then immediately rush towards her to get a few safe hits in. Rinse and repeat and the fight should stay rather easy. If you're running a slower character, however, this tactic isn't recommended, as you have to be able to outrun Velstadt to get a few safe hits on Elana.
- If one Skeleton lives she won't summon more Skeletons, but will be able to summon Velstadt)
- Using Dark Quartz Ring+3 and Dispelling Ring can help reduce most damage for melee characters.
- Elana can rarely summon other enemies, besides skeletons and "Velstadt". There exists the rare chance that she summons little Undead Devourer (like the ones in Majula) instead of the skeletons. They deal less damage but can be, depending on the weapon used, difficult to hit.
- There is two NPC summons outside the area; Benhart of Jugo, and Steelheart Ellie. This fight counts toward Benhart's quest. Benhart's summon sign is located further back in the room you find the fog gate.
- Dark Transgressor's Leather Shield completely NEGATES her Hexes.
- For handling Velstadt with 1 or 2 phantoms (Player or NPC) see if you can get one of them to focus Velsdalt while he is focused on them while you and the other phantom are focusing on Elana. (make sure you get a good amount of distance between them)
- Although her skeletons die as soon as you defeat Elana, Velstadt is still capable of attacking the player as she dies. If the player dies from Velstadt immediately after defeating Elana, the game will not register it as defeating her.