These are the covenants whose goal is to defeat other players online in combat, typically through the use of their unique multiplayer items. A hostile player in these covenants will have a variety of tools to assist them in this task, though they are by no means required to use them. That said, players in these covenants are not prohibited from helping other players (such as through the White Sign Soapstone), and indeed may prove particularly dangerous to more hostile invaders by turning their own tools against them.
Similar to the Dark Wraiths in Dark Souls, this covenant demands that its followers spill the blood of other undead players in combat for the God of War and Blood, Nahr Alma. However, this time the Blood covenant players will have a harder time achieving their objectives due to the Blue Sentinels, and the possibility that the host has another summon as well. Yet The Brotherhood see these extra opponents as a challenge and opportunity, for the more they kill in battle the higher they are elevated within the Brotherhood and the closer they come to getting their crimson lord's favor.
- Joined by speaking to Titchy Gren in the Undead Purgatory.
- Initial Reward: Crest of Blood.
- Rank 1 (50 deaths of Blue Phantom during invasion, or victories in deathmatches): Curved Twinblade.
- Rank 2 (150 deaths of Blue Phantom during invasion, or victories in deathmatches): Crescent Sickle.
- Rank 3 (500 deaths of Blue Phantom during invasion, or victories in deathmatches): Great Chaos Fireball.
NOTE: It seems that every death in arena counts as -1 kill towards the next rank. So, if you have 500 kills and have died 500 times, you are still at rank 0. With 1000 kills and 500 deaths you are just barely in rank 3. This only applies to points gained from arena wins, and those gained by killing summoned Blue Sentinels while invading cannot be lost in this way.
- The Brotherhood of Blood does not have any covenant-exclusive multiplayer items. Instead, it rewards its members for defeating summoned Blue Sentinels while invading, and serves as a source of Cracked Red Eye Orbs for those who compete in its arena. Brotherhood of Blood members also require a Token of Spite to join the covenant, which can be acquired through use of either a Cracked Red Eye Orb or the Red Sign Soapstone.
Likely related to the bells in Dark Souls, this covenant allows for its players to invade as grey phantoms. Players are automatically summoned to protect the bell tower and prevent trespassers from ringing the bell. This bell is said to represent the unconsummated affair between two lovers. Perhaps there is a hidden meaning to ringing them?
- Joined by speaking to the Bell Keeper in either Belfry Sol or Belfry Luna.
- Initial Reward: Bell Keeper's Seal.
- Rank 1 (Defeat 10 Hosts when invading as a Grey Phantom or 10 Black Phantoms that invade the Belfries): Titanite Slab x1.
- Rank 2 (Defeat 30 Hosts when invading as a Grey Phantom or 30 Black Phantoms that invade the Belfries): Hidden Weapon.
- Rank 3 (Defeat 100 Hosts when invading as a Grey Phantom or 100 Black Phantoms that invade the Belfries):Bell Keeper Helmet, Bell Keeper Bellyband, Bell Keeper Cuffs, Bell Keeper Trouser
The Blue Sentinels are the protectors of the Way of the Blue members. When a Way of the Blue member gets invaded, a Blue Sentinel is sent to the invaded player's world to kill the invader. In addition, Sentinels also invade players who have committed sins as vengeful spirits. Blue Sentinels can duel other members of their covenant by praying to the statues at the Cathedral of Blue bonfire (you must have a Token of Fidelity to do this and it will be consumed whether you win or lose). Winning a duel will count towards rank in this covenant.
Note: Blue Sentinels cannot damage monsters in the player's world. Blue Sentinels cannot attract the monsters' attention either.
- Joined by speaking to Blue Sentinel Targray in the Cathedral of Blue.
- Initial Reward: Guardian's Seal.
- Rank 1 (50 deaths of invading Black Phantoms during co-op/host when invading as Revenge Phantom, or victories in training matches): Spirit Tree Shield.
- Rank 2 (150 deaths of invading Black Phantoms during co-op/host when invading as Revenge Phantom, or victories in training matches): Wrath of the Gods.
- Rank 3 (500 deaths of invading Black Phantoms during co-op/host when invading as Revenge Phantom, or victories in training matches): Bountiful Sunlight.
- Blue Sentinels have exclusive use of the Cracked Blue Eye Orb item, and can wear their Guardian's Seal to assist Way of the Blue members who have been invaded. Blue Sentinels also need Tokens of Fidelity to join the covenant and duel in their arenas, which are acquired through use of either the White Sign Soapstone or their Guardian's Seal.
Not much is known about this covenant, other then they are nearly identical to their Dark Souls counterpart. Members must place down a dragon sign and wait to be summoned, they do not invade other worlds and act as a direct contradiction to the Dragon Eye's description of how this covenant works.
- To join, obtain the Petrified Dragon Egg from the Dragon Shrine, located at the top of the castle on a throne. Travel to the Iron Keep, and give the Petrified Dragon Egg to Magerold of Lanafir.
- Initial Reward: Dragon Eye, Ancient Dragon Seal.
- Rank 1 (Offer 10 Dragon Scales): Dragon Head Stone.
- Rank 2 (Offer 20 Dragon Scales): Dragon Torso Stone.
- Rank 3 (Offer 30 Dragon Scales): Black Dragon Greatsword.
The Rat King gives access to this covenant. Being in this covenant in the covenant areas means the NPCs will not attack you, and you can summon players to your world to be killed. Players do not go hollow or lose souls upon death, but if you get killed by a summoned player you will hollow.
- Joined by Speaking to the Rat King in Doors of Pharros, right after the Royal Rat Authority boss fight.
- Initial Reward: Crest of the Rat.
- Rank 1 (Offer 10 Rat Tails): Small Smooth & Silky Stone x10.
- Rank 2 (Offer 20 Rat Tails): Smooth & Silky Stone x10.
- Rank 3 (Offer 35 Rat Tails): Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring.