Walkthrough page for Dark Souls 2 (DKS2) provides players with an overview of the game advancement. Our walkthrough is divided per area of the game, so visit each page for details on items, enemies, NPCs and bosses found in each location. Read the Game Progress Route for our recommended approach.
Quick Boss Walkthroughs
Last Giant: This boss is easy, just get in close, weave between his legs and slash him up. Strafe and roll and he goes down easily. Buff your weapon with Gold Pine Resin for this fight if struggling.
- The Pursuer: This fight is much easier with a phantom to help you. Low-level players may find this boss hard and intimidating, as the boss will constantly exhaust your stamina, hit through your shield, and is reasonably fast. However, if one summons a phantom, the phantom can distract the Pursuer, allowing the host, or another phantom, to use the ballistas found in the area. If you can get an accurate shot on the Pursuer, you'll cut his health down to 1/4, making the fight much easier. Be aware that the Pursuer can destroy the ballistas if he gets out of control, and that the ballista shots will hit anyone in the way, potentially killing your phantom. If one is offline, or cannot find anyone, then try parrying the boss. This may give you enough time to run around to the back of the ballista, and open fire. Buff your weapon with gold pine resin for this fight if struggling.
- Old Dragonslayer: This fight is relatively simple. Just strafe him and he is less likely to touch you. When he jumps in the air, roll to the right and his shockwave wont hit you. He will charge at you occasionally but just dodge it. He goes down very easily. Buff your weapon with Charcoal Pine Resin or Aromatic Ooze for this fight if struggling.
- Dragonrider: This fight is also very easy. He is slow and easy to get behind. Just strafe him and be careful not to fall into the gaps in the floor. He hits hard will deplete your stamina fast if you just take the hits. Just keep strafing and slashing. For spells, just keep your distance and hit him when he misses his attacks. Buff your weapon with Charcoal Pine Resin for this fight if struggling.
- Flexile Sentry: This fight can be intimidating given the small area you are fighting in. The enemy has four arms, two arms with swords, or two with clubs. STAY FACING THE CLUB SIDE, his attacks are slow and easily dodged. Lure him to attack and miss and go in for a few hits then back off. Use the pole in the middle of the room to your advantage to make him attack it. You can use a bow and arrow here but he closes in quick. Buff your weapon with Gold Pine Resin for this fight.
- Ruin Sentinels: Bring one spirit in to help you, it will still be a rough fight but doable. You will go through the fog gate and fight the first sentinel. STAY ON THE SMALL PLATFORM. The first sentinel will attack you but the other 2 will stay away until you kill the first. If you fall off the platform, the other two will enter the fight and they will kick your ass. They all attack with halberd attacks that are blockable but you will lose all your stamina after about two hits. Take out the first one then heal and use a lifestone before you drop down because the fall will hurt you so the heal over time will help here. Take out the other two with your partner and you should be good to go. Try to get both of them to attack at the same time so you have time to slash at both of them at once using a sword or spear or greatsword. A great tactic is to summon Pilgrim Bellclaire, who's sign can be found in one of the cells right outside the fog gate. Make sure that the Ruin Sentinels don't swarm her, as she won't have a chance to summon her powerful spells. Buff your weapon with Gold Pine Resin for this fight if struggling.
- Skeleton Lords: This fight you might want to bring in help for. There are 3 Lords that will attack you, they are pretty weak but after you defeat one, it summons a few minions to attack you. So kill off one, kill its minions, then go after the others. The fight wont end unless you kill all the minions. You should be able to take out each Lord with about 3 good combo hits. Use Alluring Skulls for this fight if struggling
- Executioner's Chariot: *Note- Stock up on about 200 arrows to make this easier* Go into the fog, turn left and run down the hall way. There are alcoves to hide in as the chariot drives by around the arena. Kill the skeletons blocking your way and hide, wait for the chariot to pass. Kill more skeletons and find the first Necromancer and kill him (They keep rezzing the skeletons). There is one more necromancer to kill before they stop reviving. Remember to keep hiding each time that chariot comes through. Let the chariot kill off the remaining skeletons. After they're all dead, DO NOT FLIP THE SWITCH, instead hide in an alcove and point your bow out and shoot the chariot each time it passes through. You can also throw daggers or bombs. It will weaken it slowly but you will only have to get it to half health before the horse falls into a giant hole in the arena and you'll stop seeing it coming around, if you look towards where it would be coming from, it will be struggling to get out of the hole, just shoot it once and it will fall into the pit. Boss defeated and you won't even have to use any healing items. Use Gold Pine Resin or Rotten Pine Resin for this fight if struggling.
- Covetous Demon:This encounter is very easy. Go right in and two hand your weapon, blocking is useless (I blocked like mad in this fight with a +0 tower shield and no points into endurance, thus blocking is a viable strategy for this fight. Fast characters should use their full potential of Dodging and strafing. Covetous has huge HP pool but it is one of the easiest bosses in the game.) (Third: I was strafing him the first time itself when I found this spot at his side where he can't touch you; wait for him to attack and hit him when he's pulling himself back up.) Strafe around the demon and take a few hits but then run away. It will charge at you, jump at you, or spit fireballs at you, just keep circling the arena. Repeat again and again. If you stay too close to it, it will either tail swing you, or it will roll over on top of you. Just keep going in quick, slash or blast, run away and let him chase you. He goes down fast. If the demon does manage to get to you, be careful of when he licks. When he licks you, you are stripped of your armor, rings and weapons. This makes the rest of the battle relativley harder.
- Mytha (Medusa): It's highly advised that before this fight, you should use a torch to burn the windmill which can be found next to the "Central Earthen Peak" bonfire. Spell users have the easiest time, just stay back and fling em. She will shoot soul arrows at you or throw her head and it will explode, just keep strafing and rolling. For melee fighters, get in mid range and make her miss her lunging halberd attacks, she is slow to recover, go in and get two slashes in, then run away. you can try to block her attacks but she will recover before you can attack. Just keep at it in this pattern and watch out for her head bomb attack and you are golden. If you use melee, another tactic is to try summoning Jester Thomas, who's sign can be found right outside the small tunnel with the fog gate. He can fling pyromancies at Mytha, dealing about ~500 damage per hit. Just tank her hits with a 100% physical defence shield, and you'll be fine. Use Charcoal Pine Resin for this fight if struggling.
- Royal Rat Vanguard: This fight can be confusing and annoying because the main rat will not appear until after you kill a few of the regular ones. An army of rats will attack you. I suggest a one handed sweeping greatsword attack method. You can one shot multiple rats at once and keep safe. The room is littered with rat statues that will block your sweeps sometimes. Best tactic is to run to one corner of the room, slash a bunch of rats. Run to the other corner of the room where its semi clear of statues. Slash more rats. After about 10 kills, the boss bar shows up. There will be a rat that looks different than the others with long hair on its back. He is the boss rat that you have to kill. Just go for him and you can kill him in a few hits. Use Charcoal Pine Resin for this fight if struggling.
- Royal Rat Authority: This fight may seem very intimidating, there are a few rats off in the distance and the boss is sleeping on a ledge at the other side of the room. After dispatching the rats run at the boss and go in between its legs , while always stay under him, attack its back legs. It is advised to not lock the camera. Also take note when he lowers his head as he will do a lunge attack causing all your stamina to drain if blocked. Use a 100% physical defense shield and Charcoal Pine Resin if struggling.
When you start the game you will be in a place called Things Betwixt This place is known to be your Tutorial area. Your gender and body/face is unknown right now. You wear the Imported set. As you continue straight, you will go up a little hill into a field with little dog-like demons. Attacking them will make them start attacking you all together, so don't attack them yet until later into game, they can be dangerous right now because of low defense and vigor.
Now, as soon as you go up the hill with the dogs turn right, go through the hidden path, an item will shine. It's a Rusted Coin! Go back, now go up to the lights of a hut. Enter the hut and a cut scene will play. After the scene you have to put in your name, then make your character and class. Once you have chosen your selected gift and class, then you will be ready to start your journey, which can be done by exiting via the opposite door you came through. Before you do this however, it's worth noting that upstairs in the cottage there is a wooden chest containing a human effigy, which is very useful for early players.
After this, leave the hut, and you will find a bonfire. Light it, and smash the wagon located next to it. Behind this wagon will be some loot; a soul of a lost undead, and a torch. After grabbing this, head through the tunnel and you will find yourself in an area with multiple fog gates. Each of these fog gates contains low-level enemies, which are great if you are new to the game. Snuggly the Crow's nest is also located through one of the fog gates, who will trade certain items with you. These range from low-level, basic titanites to rare weapons and rings. Be aware that there are also two strong ogre enemies who can ruin your health, so it would probably be best to avoid these for the time being. Apart from this, there are also some low-level loots, which aren't that important, regardless of if they are picked up or not.
Once you have explored the area (if you choose to do so), then head through the tunnel without a fog gate, at the opposite end of the large chamber which branches off into the fog gate rooms. At the end of this tunnel, you will find an area called "Majula". Head to the left, through the ruin, and then to your right to find a bonfire. Light this bonfire, and then have a look around the area around the bonfire to find "The Emerald Herald". If you are having trouble finding her, look around the "cliff" side of the bonfire. Once you have found her, talk to her to receive an Estus Flask. This will act as an important healing item all throughout the game, and replenishes at bonfires.
Once you have done this, head up to the huge statue on the cliff perch to find Crestfallen Saulden. Talk to him, and if you want to, join his covenant to receive a ring which will give a small HP increase. Also located here is the Company of Champions Covenant. If you wish to join this covenant, then simply go to the entrance of the tunnel leading underground, which you should be facing as soon as you enter through the ruin mentioned before. From the entrance, go to the right, and up a wide ledge to find a corpse containing some Homeward Bones, which can be useful later in-game. One should note that this covenant should not be joined, unless one wants an additional challenge. This is because if one joins this covenant, enemies will become stronger, and co-op aspects of online play will be disabled. However, you can still be invaded, thus adding to the challenge if on online mode.
There are also some other miscellaneous items, which are relatively unimportant around Majula, have a look for these if you wish. There are also some NPCs in Majula; not only is there Crestfallen Saulden and the Emerald Herald, but there is also Blacksmith Lenigrast, who can be found sitting outside a house located next to the bonfire, a cat called Sweet Shalquoir, who sells various rings (one of which is required to progress to an important boss) and items, and an armour merchant called Maughlin who will sell you some basic armor sets and shields. If you buy 16,000 souls or more worth of items, his stock will expand to better armour sets, and he will sell the armour of bosses that you kill.
After you have gotten your estus flask, head over to the large house next to the giant hole in the ground. You should see a well, with a stone resting on it that you can hit to reveal a corpse with an estus flask shard. Go back to the Emerald Herald and select the "Upgrade Estus Flask" option. You'll now have 2 estus flasks, which stay at this amount forever. Once you have explored and upgraded your estus flask, you have 2 paths from this area. The first leads to Heide's Tower of Flame, and can be accessed from the tunnel found close to the house containing Sweet Shalquoir. From here, one can go to the Old Dragonslayer boss fight, which unlocks the Blue Sentinels covenant (provided you have a Token of Fidelity, which can be gained by helping a fellow player to defeat a boss as a phantom summoned from a normal white sign soapstone, which I will mention the location of later. If one chooses this path, they can also go to the Dragonrider boss fight, which will lead to an npc who unlocks an area which continues into other important areas (In order of discovery; Huntsman's Copse, Harvest Valley, Earthen Peak and Iron Keep) , and an area a called No Man's Wharf which will lead to the Lost Bastille. From the Lost Bastille, one can go to another area (Sinner's Rise), which leads to another important boss. However, if one decides to go the other way (go to the Majula bonfire, turn right and go along the cliffside), they will end up in The Forest of the Fallen Giants, which will lead to the Lost Bastille, and Sinner's Rise.
Forest of the Fallen Giants Path:
Starting at the bonfire, head to the right and edge along the cliffside. Go through the structure, and turn right and make a u-turn to find a rusted coin in a chest. Turn around, and continue the path.
Dark Souls 2 Area Walkthroughs
Column 3 of 3 goes here
Column 3 of 3 goes here
"If you fall off the platform, the other two will enter the fight and they will kick your ass." this dude just @ing me so hard
anyone playing on ps3 ???
add me, first time finishing the game... i need help with the covenants
Oh my god
So, I just wanted to comment, right now the link for the guide for the iron keep does Not work. https://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/The+Iron+Keep
It shows a 404 error. Could anyone help?
Go to that river follow it till you get to leader go up that leader and meet old women se is seling some thiks ,she has that key for blacksmith ,you have to bye it
i just got my chanelers trident just using rusted coin for a bit of luck and trade the small smooth and silky stone to dyna and tillo
Where do I find the key for the blacksmith
You can find a small smooth and silky stone if you turn left and go down.