- "-" = 0 - 9 sin
- "Sinner" = 10 - 99 sin
- "Wretch" = 100+ sin
Note: Your Sinner level is displayed in the "player info" screen.
- Sinning increases your chances of being invaded by arbiter spirits (Blue Sentinels)
- Arbiter spirits can invade you after your sin level reaches "sinner" (10 points of sin)
- Attacking NPCs adds 1 point of sin
- When a NPC dies and souls are gained, no matter the cause, 1 point of sin is added.
- Invading using the Cracked Red Eye Orb and successfully defeating the host adds 1 point of sin
- Being killed by an arbiter spirit removes 1 point of sin
- Dying with an Arbiter Spirit on the map removes 1 point of sin, regardless of whether your death was caused by the arbiter spirit
- Sin does not reset after completing a play through
- Cromwell the Pardoner does not reset your sin level. His pardon mechanic only removes the aggro from hostile NPCs. However, due to a glitch that erroneously caused sin in the Crown of the Ivory King DLC during Patch 1.08, Cromwell was changed to offer 1 pardon for free. Unlike the regular pardon described above, it completely clears all types of Sinner statuses. It can only be done once per character.
- Using the Crushed Eye Orb to invade and kill Licia of Lindelt increases sin by 1.
- Completing Royal Sorcerer Navlaans questline without killing the NPC's does not increase your sin level by 1 (Tested while hollow with Lost Sinner's Sword - completed by showing him all items)
- Killing or attacking Vendrick or the Ancient Dragon does not count as sin.
- Killing an arbiter spirit does not count as sin.
- Dueling as a Dragon Remnant or Bell Keeper does not count as sin.
- Causing other players deaths in a coop session through environmental means does not count as sin.
- Lost Sinner's Sword can be used to determine your sin level even below 10 sin points :
Get few weapons with same scaling as this sword (D/D) and determine scaling value for your stats, in my case with 20 str / 50 dex i have +101 on Yellow Quartz Longsword.
Then equip Lost Sinner's Sword and look at your stats, i had +84, which means I have between 1 or 2 sins (killed 2 NPCs, completed Naavlaans questline - last one seems not to matter). Taking into account this Guide it turns out i have 1 sin (101 - 84 = 17), with non upgraded sword. Although after killing 1 more NPC sword got +72 (84 - 72 = 12), which mean numbers in guide are not very precise or they apply in some strange pattern. Anyhow turns out that every sin counts for minus 12 - 18 points in scaling depending on your build and sword upgrade.
- The Lost Sinner's Sword can be used to determine sin level below 10 points (confirmed)
- Can sin be lowered back down to "0" by getting killed by an arbiter spirit, while playing as a white/gold phantom?
- Sin can be lowered by helping defeat a boss as white/gold phantom? *Had "Sinner 10-99" level, full hollow, did one boss fight as a White Phantom and had no sin and became human upon returning to my game. *Seems to be incorrect, tested with lost sinner sword and exactly 10 sin, tried to kill a boss as both a white and gold phantom with no decrease in sin.
- When sin level is 'Wretch', you can go beyond 50% hp when fully hollowed.