Soul Memory in Dark Souls 2 is covered on this page.
What is Soul Memory for?
Soul Memory is now part of the formula that sets minimum and maximum range for interactions between players online (co-op, invasions).
This is, for example, to prevent a player of a certain level that is close to the end of the game from invading/doing co-op with a player of the same level that might be still in the first areas of the game.
- This is a statistic that affects online play. It is the total accumulation of souls for your character.
If you wish to play with others, you must be within a similar Soul Memory range. Higher Soul Level characters can still be paired with lower leveled characters who have similar Soul Memory ranges.
- Soul items and boss souls you pick up add to your Soul Memory only when you use them.
- You can check your Soul Memory on your Player Status screen, the top right-hand number.
- Souls picked up from your bloodstain after dying won't add up to your soul memory.
- Souls lost upon dying a second time without touching your bloodstain still count in your soul memory.
- It is better to always recover your souls on the bloodstain if you don't want to get "under(soul)leveled".
- A summoning range calculator can be found here
- Soul Level does not matter in summoning. It's purely Soul Memory.
- NG shares the same exact ranges as NG+
- The Soul Memory threshold flattens out at 45m. Once you pass this threshold, you can summon and be summoned by anyone else past it, regardless of how large the gap! If your SM is 50m and your friends is 400m, you can still summon each other regardless.
Soul Memory Tiers and Exact Ranges for Multiplayer Connections
 Note that the specifics may be subject to change in future calibrations, but this appears to be exactly how it works for now. Tested on PS3.
How are the ranges calculated?
- Soul Memory is divided into tiers, but the tiers are not hard boundaries. Instead, different multiplayer items extend across different amounts of neighboring tiers. So there's no direct math involved, it's a question of
- A) What tier am I in? and
- B) How many tiers above and below my own can I pair up with?
- It is NOT anything like +/- 25%, 50,000, etc.
|Tier #||Soul Memory|
|1||0 - 9,999|
|2||10,000 - 19,999|
|3||20,000 - 29,999|
|4||30,000 - 39,999|
|5||40,000 - 49,999|
|6||50,000 - 69,999|
|7||70,000 - 89,999|
|8||90,000 - 109,999|
|9||110,000 - 129,999|
|10||130,000 - 149,999|
|11||150,000 - 179,999|
|12||180,000 - 209,999|
|13||210,000 - 239,999|
|14||240,000 - 269,999|
|15||270,000 - 299,999|
|16||300,000 - 349,999|
|17||350,000 - 399,999|
|18||400,000 - 449,999|
|19||450,000 - 499,999|
|20||500,000 - 599,999|
|21||600,000 - 699,999|
|22||700,000 - 799,999|
|23||800,000 - 899,999|
|24||900,000 - 999,999|
|25||1,000,000 - 1,099,999|
|26||1,100,000 - 1,199,999|
|27||1,200,000 - 1,299,999|
|28||1,300,000 - 1,399,999|
|29||1,400,000 - 1,499,999|
|30||1,500,000 - 1,749,999|
|31||1,750,000 - 1,999,999|
|32||2,000,000 - 2,249,999|
|33||2,250,000 - 2,499,999|
|34||2,500,000 - 2,749,999|
|35||2,750,000 - 2,999,999|
|36||3,000,000 - 4,999,999|
|37||5,000,000 - 6,999,999|
|38||7,000,000 - 8,999,999|
|39||9,000,000 - 11,999,999|
|40||12,000,000 - 14,999,999|
|41||15,000,000 - 19,999,999|
|42||20,000,000 - 29,999,999|
|43||30,000,000 - 44,999,999|
|44||45,000,000 - 999,999,999|
|Multiplayer Item||Downward Range||Upward Range||Example|
|White Sign Soapstone||-3 Tiers||+1 Tier||Tier 20 can send their sign to a host in tiers 17 - 21|
|White Sign Soapstone
|-6 Tiers||+4 Tiers||Tier 20 can send their sign to a host in tiers 14 - 24|
|Small White Sign Soapstone||-4 Tiers||+2 Tiers||Tier 20 can send their sign to a host in tiers 16 - 22|
|Small White Sign Soapstone
|-7 Tiers||+5 Tiers||Tier 20 can send their sign to a host in tiers 13 - 25|
|Red Sign Soapstone||-5 Tiers||+2 Tiers||Tier 20 can send their sign to a host in tiers 15 - 22|
|Dragon Eye||-5 Tiers||+5 Tiers||Tier 20 can send their sign to a host in tiers 15 - 25|
|Cracked Red Eye Orb||none||+4 Tiers||Tier 20 can invade a host in tiers 20 - 24|
|Cracked Blue Eye Orb||-3 Tiers||+3 Tiers||Tier 20 can invade a host in tiers 17 - 23|
|Bell Keeper's Seal||-1 Tier||+3 Tiers||Tier 20 can invade a host in tiers 19 - 23|
- Abyss Invasions
- Mirror Knight Summons
- ^ Tested by Hirokisugihara & Illusorywall
- ^ All credits go to illusorywall & optic_niko, hellkite_drake, ein death, hiroki sugihara, greensvadhisthana, eur0pa, blade, and necroi!