Soul Memory in Dark Souls II is an online or gameplay mechanic in the game. Soul Memory helps the player track the total number of Souls the player has obtained and determines who the player can or cannot connect to online in Dark Souls II online multiplayer. So if you have a High Soul Memory character, you'll be paired with similar players as well. To play with other players, you must be within a similar Soul Memory Range.
Soul Memory Tips in Dark Souls 2
What is Soul Memory used for in Dark Souls 2?
Soul Memory is the cumulative total of all the souls gathered on a character. In this game, it is part of the formula that sets the minimum and maximum range for interactions between players online (co-op and invasions).
This is, for example, to prevent a player of a certain level that is close to the end of the game from invading/doing co-op with a player of the same level that might be still in the first areas of the game.
If you wish to play with others, you must be within a similar Soul Memory range. Higher Soul Level characters can still be paired with lower leveled characters who have similar Soul Memory ranges.
- Soul items and boss souls you pick up add to your Soul Memory only when you use them.
- You can check your Soul Memory on your Player Status screen, the top right-hand number.
- Souls picked up from your bloodstain after dying won't add up to your soul memory.
- Souls lost upon dying a second time without touching your bloodstain still count in your soul memory.
- It is better to always recover your souls on the bloodstain if you don't want to get "under(soul)leveled".
- A summoning range calculator can be found here.
Facts about Soul Memory in Dark Souls 2
- Soul Level does not matter in summoning - it is purely Soul Memory that affects it.
- NG shares the same ranges as NG+.
- The Soul Memory threshold flattens out at 45m. Once you pass this threshold, you can summon and be summoned by anyone else past it, regardless of how large the gap is! If your SM is 50m and your friends are 400m, you can still summon each other regardless.
How does Soul Memory Affect Online Play in Dark Souls 2?
One of Dark Souls II's Online mechanics is Soul memory. Soul memory tracks the number of souls that the player has collected during the lifetime of the character. This will determine the tier of players that the player can connect with in multiplayer. One of the main issues, however, is the way the system tracks the player. The system would track time spent rather than the major strength of individual players in the game. This is where the Agape Ring comes in. The Agape Ring was an addition to the game that allows the players to stay at a certain Soul Memory level without needing to worry about reaching tiers that they do not desire.
Soul Memory Tiers and Exact Ranges for Multiplayer Connections in Dark Souls 2
Note that the specifics may be subject to change in future calibrations, but this appears to be precisely how it works for now. Tested on PS3.
How are the ranges calculated?
- Soul Memory is divided into tiers, but the tiers are not hard boundaries. Instead, different multiplayer items extend across different amounts of neighboring tiers. So there's no direct math involved, it's a question of
- A) What tier am I in? and
- B) How many tiers above and below my own can I pair up with?
- It is NOT anything like +/- 25%, 50,000, etc.
Can you Decrease your Soul Memory in Dark Souls 2?
Unfortunately, you can't lower your Soul Memory in Dark Souls II. This is to avoid scenarios such as having low-level players progressing the game equipped with High tier/level equipment from preying on new players. The whole point is to try and keep things balanced between players of Dark Souls II.
How to stop your Soul Memory from going any higher in Dark Souls 2?
You can stop your Soul Memory from going any higher by using the Agape Ring in Dark Souls II. With the Agape Ring, players can now keep their soul memory at a certain point without worrying about it going any higher. Without the ring, your Soul Memory would still go up even though you're not trying to level up to higher tiers.
Tiers and Multiplayer Items in Dark Souls 2
|Tier #||Soul Memory|
|1||0 - 9,999|
|2||10,000 - 19,999|
|3||20,000 - 29,999|
|4||30,000 - 39,999|
|5||40,000 - 49,999|
|6||50,000 - 69,999|
|7||70,000 - 89,999|
|8||90,000 - 109,999|
|9||110,000 - 129,999|
|10||130,000 - 149,999|
|11||150,000 - 179,999|
|12||180,000 - 209,999|
|13||210,000 - 239,999|
|14||240,000 - 269,999|
|15||270,000 - 299,999|
|16||300,000 - 349,999|
|17||350,000 - 399,999|
|18||400,000 - 449,999|
|19||450,000 - 499,999|
|20||500,000 - 599,999|
|21||600,000 - 699,999|
|22||700,000 - 799,999|
|23||800,000 - 899,999|
|24||900,000 - 999,999|
|25||1,000,000 - 1,099,999|
|26||1,100,000 - 1,199,999|
|27||1,200,000 - 1,299,999|
|28||1,300,000 - 1,399,999|
|29||1,400,000 - 1,499,999|
|30||1,500,000 - 1,749,999|
|31||1,750,000 - 1,999,999|
|32||2,000,000 - 2,249,999|
|33||2,250,000 - 2,499,999|
|34||2,500,000 - 2,749,999|
|35||2,750,000 - 2,999,999|
|36||3,000,000 - 4,999,999|
|37||5,000,000 - 6,999,999|
|38||7,000,000 - 8,999,999|
|39||9,000,000 - 11,999,999|
|40||12,000,000 - 14,999,999|
|41||15,000,000 - 19,999,999|
|42||20,000,000 - 29,999,999|
|43||30,000,000 - 44,999,999|
|44||45,000,000 - 999,999,999|
Multiplayer Items in Dark Souls 2
|Multiplayer Item||Downward Range||Upward Range||Example|
|White Sign Soapstone||-3 Tiers||+1 Tier||Tier 20 can send their sign to a host in tiers 17 - 21|
|White Sign Soapstone
|-6 Tiers||+4 Tiers||Tier 20 can send their sign to a host in tiers 14 - 24|
|Small White Sign Soapstone||-4 Tiers||+2 Tiers||Tier 20 can send their sign to a host in tiers 16 - 22|
|Small White Sign Soapstone
|-7 Tiers||+5 Tiers||Tier 20 can send their sign to a host in tiers 13 - 25|
|Red Sign Soapstone||-5 Tiers||+2 Tiers||Tier 20 can send their sign to a host in tiers 15 - 22|
|Dragon Eye||-5 Tiers||+5 Tiers||Tier 20 can send their sign to a host in tiers 15 - 25|
|Cracked Red Eye Orb||none||+4 Tiers||Tier 20 can invade a host in tiers 20 - 24|
|Cracked Blue Eye Orb||-3 Tiers||+3 Tiers||Tier 20 can invade a host in tiers 17 - 23|
|Bell Keeper's Seal||-1 Tier||+3 Tiers||Tier 20 can invade a host in tiers 19 - 23|
Notes & Tips about Soul Memory in Dark Souls 2
- Other Notes, Tips, and Trivia go here.
- Abyss Invasions
- Mirror Knight Summons
- Tested by Hirokisugihara & Illusorywall
- All credits go to illusorywall & optic_niko, hellkite_drake, ein death, hiroki sugihara, greensvadhisthana, eur0pa, blade, and necroi!