Belfry Gargoyle is an enemy in Dark Souls 2.
Belfry Gargoyles Information
The Belfry Gargoyles are a boss team in Dark Souls 2. Also present in Dark Souls, the new group is much more ferocious. Their attacks and speed are improved, and up to six gargoyles can appear. They are also in an area guarded by the invasion-themed PvP Covenant Bell Keepers, so reaching them in online mode can be challenging.
The elaborate stone statues on the belfry mysteriously came to life.
- Belfry Gargoyle Soul
- Covetous Gold Serpent Ring +2 (Bonfire Intensity 2+)
- Twinkling Titanite
- Two gargoyles will immediately spawn as soon as the player enters the fog gate and begin attacking the player in tandem. The third Gargoyle activates when the overall boss life bar is less than 90% full. At less than 70%, the fourth Gargoyle springs into action. The fifth and final Gargoyle will enter the fray at around 50%. Focusing on one gargoyle at a time is a good strategy. Eliminating one before or as soon as a 3rd spawns is ideal, as 2 is much more manageable than 3. Keep chipping away, focusing on one gargoyle at a time, one swing/spell/flame at a time.
Edit: If you spend too much time on the first 3 gargoyles, the 4th gargoyle will also join the fight. With very long fights 5th can also join if you have no kills.
If 3 do spawn, the gargoyles go into different formations depending on their health percentages. Adjust accordingly. (ex. if 3 spawn and 1 is at less than 50% or so, he will start breathing fire rather than performing physical attacks). Each gargoyle will start breathing fire and will stop aggressively advancing towards the character when below 50% health. Several fire breathers can make approaching one very difficult and can quickly turn the arena into a fiery inferno. Try only allowing one to drop below 50% at a time and single that one out before engaging the others.
The gargoyles appear to be weak against lightning, so a weapon imbued with lightning attack can be helpful. You can use Gold Pine Resin to apply lightning to a weapon for a short time. Additionally, "Strike" type weapons, such as a Morning Star or Craftman's Hammer seem to be much more effective than "Slash" or "Thrust" type weapons.
For Pyromancers and Sorcerors it is best to keep your distance from the gargoyles and to keep running back and forth down the roof top if possible while keeping your guard up and throwing spells at them, this process is slow which is why you will need to use stronger spells or pyromancies and be cautious as when you pull away the gargoyles will give chase.
Note: A pyromancers flame and the pyromancy Flame Swathe can kill a gargoyle or numerous gargoyles in one hit if used effectively, this pyromancy is acquired from Straid of Olaphis so obtaining it will require his unpetrifying.
For clerics: Get a sneaky hit in just as they spawn then run to the back of the area and throw a lightning spear or two depending on how quickly they descend on you. Dodge and run to the other end of the area and throw more spears. rinse and repeat. tip: Heavenly lightning can be a life saver, getting a quick cast in the middle of the area can damage the currently spawned gargoyles and deal some high damage.
- The Gargoyles seem weak to lightning. Get one tank and a ranged DPSer with lightning spear and you're set.
- Fighting 2-3 gargoyles at once can be tough- try to keep your distance and pick them off one at a time by sweeping in to get a hit or two off whenever you have an opening.
- Concentrating on one gargoyle till it's dead is paramount; if you spread the damage out too much, you end up like this (fight starts at 30:30; skip to 38:00 to watch the fun begin).
Just keep your distance even if you don't have lightning, magic seems to work as well and keep your distance and don't let the gargoyles surround you (fight starts at (2:00)
Fantasma702: - All you really have to do is keep your distance and try to knock one out first then focus on the others. You can in fact get the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring +2 by using a Bonfire Ascetic on the Upper Ramparts bonfire in Belfry Luna.
- The physical attacks can be parried.
- Boss is weak to lightning and magic attacks. Using miracles and sorceries will result in heavy damage.
- Focus damage on (preferably) one gargoyle at a time. The fewer gargoyles to deal with the better.
- Two-hand your weapon for increased damage and dodge away from the gargoyles attempting to flank. (Watch out for tail sweeps!)
- A shield with high fire defense is recommended.