Rest at bonfire
Bonfires in Dark Souls 2 are the checkpoint features in the game. Bonfires are special locations that take form as a bonfire which act like places of rest where players can replenish health and estus and serve as checkpoints on your journey. These also act as respawn points for players that have died. Players will spawn at the last Bonfire that they rest at. Bonfire need to be Kindled to be used, they will then also appear on your menu. Unkindled bonfires are unlocked and will be marked with a question mark until kindled. All Bonfire Locations, including those that were added after the DLC trilogy, have been listed below. Bonfires have since been updated in newer Souls game titles and have been renamed to Sites of Grace in FromSoftware's recent 2022 game, Elden Ring.
What are Bonfires in Dark Souls 2?
Bonfires are checkpoints that can be found throughout the different Locations of Dark Souls 2. Before they are kindled, they appear a sword in the ground with a small glow which will prompt you to light the Bonfire as you approach. They can be unlocked and then revisited at any point in order to rest, restore and strengthen any items that can be upgraded or attuned using one of the features of the Bonfire. Each Location should have a Bonfire within the vicinity, which may then be shown in your menu once unlocked or kindled.
What are Primal Bonfires in Dark Souls 2?
These are special Bonfires that can be accessed after defeating one of four Old Ones, the main Bosses, for their Great Souls. After each defeat, a Primal Bonfire will become available, but will not have the same features as a regular Bonfire. Instead, these Bonfires will prompt players to return to the The Far Fire Bonfire in Majula.
Bonfire Information and Features Dark Souls 2
- Checkpoint: Respawn from the most recent Bonfire you rested at
- Fast Travel: Use the Bonfire to travel to any kindled Bonfires
- Burn Items: This action grants additional effects to items that are burned at a Bonfire
- Attune Spells: Add or remove spell scrolls from attunement slots.
- Access Item Box: Use to deposit items at the bonfire.
Bonfire Features Guide DS2
DS2 Bonfire: Attune Spells
Add or remove spell scrolls from attunement slots.
- The Attune Magic function will appear on the menu after acquiring a spell scroll (Hex, Miracle, Pyromancy, Sorcery)
- The starting classes which begin with a spell will have the Attune Spell function available immediately
DS2 Bonfire: Traveling
- Use this menu to travel to any kindled bonfire
- After talking to the Queen in Drangleic Castle, unkindled bonfires will be marked with "???" icons on the travel menu
DS2 Bonfire: Item Box
- Use to deposit items at the bonfire.
- Items stored at a bonfire cannot be retrieved by characters on a different save slot
DS2 Bonfire: Burn Items
- Increase the area's difficulty to the next NG level (So NG will become NG+, NG+ will become NG++)
- This effect is permanent, and carries over to subsequent play-throughs
- Allows the player to obtain items and secrets normally found in the next playthrough
- Add more enemies (new enemies will glow red like invaders)
- Increase damage dealt by all enemies in the area
- Increase maximum HP of all enemies in the area
- Respawn wooden (not metal) chests and items that were looted prior to burning an Ascetic
- Raise the Bonfire Intensity of the kindled bonfire by +1
- Create various other effects unique to each bonfire
Sublime Bone Dust (Far Fire in Majula only)
- Increase the amount of HP restored by the Estus Flask by 50 (max +5 for 800hp)
- Prevents invasions and cooperative play for 30 minutes. NPC summons will remain available. Even if the player defeats an area boss, the effect will keep active until the end of time counting (confirmed on PC version)
All Bonfire Locations in Dark Souls 2