Torch is a special item in Dark Souls 2.
The Torch is a new feature to the Dark Souls series and is used in Dark Souls 2 to help with exploration. It has the simple effect of increasing the brightness in low light areas. In darker areas, this lowers the risk of unseen enemies, traps, and pits. However, a downside is that while using the torch, the player is unable to use a left hand slot (weapon/shield/magic); moreover, the torch can only block partially and at a high stamina cost. One can switch the torch away when in combat, though this extinguishes the torch; when you re-equip it, you must re-light it.
Instead of having a torch in your inventory, any torch you obtain in the game adds 5:00 mins to a counter. In this way, as you find torches, your total "torch time" grows, until you start using your torch(es), at which point the timer starts to count down. Consider being judicious with your torches, so that when you really need them, you have enough time. So far, no one seems to sell torches, so that, other than drops by enemies, there is a very finite number in the game.
As you move through the world, there are places to light your torch, and also things you can light with your torch. In particular, there are dark areas/levels (e.g., The Gutter) where you can move from one torch sconce to the next, lighting each as you go. This progressively adds light to the level, and gives you places where you can re-light your torch if you extinguish it (or it gets extinguished) for any reason.
- At a bonfire, toggle from the "Rest at bonfire" message to the "Light the torch" message
- At a torch sconce which is already lit, select "Light the torch"
- Use a Flame Butterfly
- There is one torch in Things Betwixt near the first bonfire behind a wagon.
- There are several torches you can loot inside the keep in the Forest of Fallen Giants.
- Dropped by torch wielding enemies.
- Can also farm using the Bonfire Ascetic in Majula and opening the chest in the manor on the second floor, this will net you 3 torches and 3 titanite shards.
- 3 on a corpse in Dragon's Sanctum.
- Other than lighting scones, the torch is only used a couple of times for other things.
- The torch is also very helpful to spot pitfalls and hidden paths when you walk through dark shallow waters.
- The torch will also help light your path in the poison mist caverns of Harvest Valley
- Rolling in flammable pools (The Gutter, Black Gulch) while holding the torch will set them on fire.
- Being hit with a tar bomb while holding a torch will result in an explosion, causing damage to the player.
- Lighting a torch while soaked in tar will result in an explosion, causing damage to the player
- Also beware that rolling in shallow water or walking under waterfalls will extinguish the torch.
- Increases targeting range of about 1.5x.
- Usage of a torch upon entering the area in the Undead Crypt near Grave Warden Agdayne causes him to become permanently hostile and unsummonable as a white phantom. He will become friendly again if you absolve your sins.
- Lighting all sconces in Things Betwixt causes an NPC red phantom to spawn. I don't know if there are other similar secrets elsewhere.
- The firelight from sconces as well as the torch will make spiders try to run away. They don't seem willing to attack a player holding a torch.