"Tossing this into a Bonfire strengthens nearby foes.
Bonfire Ascetic is a type of consumable in Dark Souls 2 and Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin.
- Please be aware that any ascetic you burn in a bonfire WILL carry on to the next playthrough! If you want to farm souls using ascetics and then wish to go to NG+, the difficulty of the area will be the number of ascetics used MORE than NG+.
- Using a Bonfire Ascetic will NOT respawn Estus Flask Shards.
- Using a Bonfire Ascetic will NOT respawn NPCs.
- Using a Bonfire Ascetic will NOT respawn Metal Chests, but will respawn Wooden Chests and items laying on the ground. (Useful for farming certain items)
- If you use a Bonfire Ascetic on your first playthrough on a bonfire, it will be NG+ level, when you go to your second playthrough it will stack and will become NG+2, be very careful as this may make it much harder for you to complete NG+'s above what you're at..
- Bonfire intensity caps at 99, but you can still burn ascetics past 99 to respawn the boss
- By using a Bonfire Ascetic in the Foregarden bonfire in Aldia's Keep and unpetrifying the hollow next to the Basilisk in the cage, you will gain 2 ascetics, but you can respawn him for 1 ascetic and he will still drop them each time, effectively allowing for infinite bonfire ascetics. Very useful for getting every NG+ item in one playthrough and getting every bonfire on Cale's map blue.
- When resting at a Bonfire, select "Burn" and then select "Bonfire Ascetic".
- Burn it in a Bonfire to raise the local difficulty NG+1 which can be verified on the travel menu.
- The difficulty of the Bonfire area will be like NG+ for the first playthrough, NG++ for the next and so on. You will also be able to farm items that were previously only available in NG+. The difficulty caps at NG+7, so every successive burning after the 8th intensity will be of the same difficulty. The highest leap in difficulty is from NG to NG+, after which the enemies slowly become stronger up to NG+7.
- Burning the item is also a way to respawn exhausted enemies, albeit at a much higher difficulty.
- Burning a Bonfire Ascetic is irreversible, so exercise caution.
- If the bonfire ascetic is used in the Heide's ruin bonfire, you will be able to farm sublime bone dust of the knight that doesn't respawn but you will need to defeat the Dragonrider each time. (non-SOFTS version)
- Burning a Bonfire Ascetic also respawns the items found in the area and respawn wooden chests and corpses BUT not iron chests.
- For details on the results of burning an ascetic at each bonfire, please visit the individual bonfire's page. A full list of the game's bonfires can be found on the Bonfires page.
- Can be used to respawn bosses and get items available only in NG+ or higher and the original reward as well.
- Beating a boss when 8 ascetics have been used on its bonfire will turn its corresponding flame on Cale's world map blue, though there is no other apparent effect.
- 1 can be chosen as a gift when creating a new character.
- 1 can be found on a corpse in the Lost Bastille before the bridge that leads you to the Sinners' Rise bonfire get in the cage that acts like an elevator and when at the top, jump down on the ledge below.
- 1 can be found on a corpse in Brightstone Cove Tseldora up the ladder after the church where you fight the Prowling Magus and Congregation.
- 1 can be found on a skeleton in Iron Keep at first bonfire, cross the bridge and about halfway across, look to the right. Drop down the ledge and run across the series of flaming rocks. (3 in SOTFS version)
- 3 can be found in an iron chest in Drangleic Castle after the Looking Glass Knight fight near the elevators leading down into the Shrine of Amana.
- 1 can be found in an iron chest in Shrine of Amana in the area past the Altar of Amana beyond the Rise of the Dead bonfire.
- 1 can be found in an iron chest in Undead Crypt up a ladder and on a platform next to a Leydia Witch near the Undead Ditch bonfire.
- 2 can be found in an iron chest in Aldia's Keep up the stairs in the main hall with the skeletal dragon.
- 3 can be found in an iron chest in Dragon Shrine near the entrance.
- 1 can be found on a corpse in Memory of Jeigh on a ledge to the left right after the fog gate.
- 3 can be found in an iron chest in Memory of Orro by rolling on to the suspended platform after destroying the crane contraption on the rooftop and then jumping into the hidden area.
- 1 can be found on a corpse in Memory of Vammar on the rooftop with the 2 pyromancy casting giants.
- 4 can be found from the special chest in the Majula mansion as a part of a promotional event for Dark Souls 2 DLC from June 25th till July 1st 2014.
- 1 can be found in a wooden chest in Dragon's Sanctum guarded by several Sanctum Soldiers near the start of the area. (respawns by burning Ascetic at Tower of Prayer bonfire)
- 3 can be found on a corpse in Cave of the Dead in the main area after dropping down one of the holes.
- 2 can be found in an iron chest in Brume Tower in the area where you get invaded by Maldron the Assassin.
- 1 can be found in an iron chest in Brume Tower by dropping down to the ledge containing the first Possessed Armor. The chest also contains 2 human effigies.
- 3 can be found in an iron chest in Frozen Eleum Loyce in the room with the once frozen Mimic.
- Stone Trader Chloanne sells 1 for 7,500 souls nearby the Poison Pool bonfire in Harvest Valley, or later when she moves to Majula.
- Royal Sorcerer Navlaan in Aldia's Keep sells 10 for 7,500 souls each after completing his assassination missions while hollow or while human after he's been released. See his page for details on how to handle this.
- Darkdiver Grandahl sells 10 of these for 7,500 each if you are a member of the Pilgrims of Dark covenant.
- Dropped by Phantoms and Witch Trees during the 3 trials of the Pilgrim of the Dark covenant. The Chasm is open permanently after the Darklurker is killed once in a playthrough allowing for unlimited* farming of them at no human effigy cost. The Phantoms and Witch Trees do disappear like other mobs and an ascetic must be used to respawn them, the Darklurker must also be killed again.
- Dropped by the Ashen Crawler monsters in Brume Tower. A very large amount of them reside in the tower where you retrieve the Scorching Iron Scepter, past the Foyer bonfire.
- Defeating an invader or a host in the Dark Chasm of Old will net you a single Bonfire Ascetic.
Soul Farming Methods with Bonfire Ascetic
- The Giant Lord boss is a good farming method for getting to get a very large amount of souls per run in additional to a soul vessel but is rather difficult without a heavily focused spell caster build. There is also a bonfire ascetic that respawns.
- You can farm Ascetics with the above method as one respawns in Memory of Jeigh and another respawns close to the Giant Pyromancers on the memory of Vammar. This also nets a Soul Vessel inside the Memory of Orro.
Upgrading Materials Farming Methods with Bonfire Ascetic
- 1x Soul of a Hero, 1x Soul of a Great Hero, 3x Twinkling Titanite, 3x Petrified Dragon Bone, 3x Boltstone, 3x Bleedstone, 10x Rust Coin, 1x Dried Root as well Focus Soul sorcery can be farmed in Dragon's Sanctum by burning Ascetic at Tower of Prayer bonfire, highly recommended to lure away enemies with Yearn sorcery, additional Bonfire Ascetic can be obtaind from a trapped wooden chest guarded by Sanctum Soldiers in the first room.
- Allows purchase of Moonlight Butterfly set if used in Majula until 3 intensity - Available after spending 16k at Maughlin the Armourer. (The main set pieces i.e. chest, arms and legs unlock on 2 intensity and the headpiece at 3 intensity). Note: The Moon Butterfly Shield can be found after 2-3 ascetics in the chest in the loft above Maughlin'shop
- Does not allow purchase of the covenant weapons or spells at Chancellor Wellager, this needs actual NG++.
- Allows purchase of Dragonrider Set from Magerold at the Iron Keep when Drangleic Castle is cleared and Threshold Bridge is at intensity 2.
- The word "ascetic" is an adjective meaning unrelenting or rigorous. This may imply that the player burning this item will encounter enemies who exhibit those same qualities.
- An ascetic is a person who practices stringent self-discipline or self-denial and often withholds all physical gratification. The word can also be an adjective that means something is characterized by the practice of self-discipline or denial. Its Greek roots come from a word meaning “training” or “exercise.” The word is usually associated with achieving spiritual goals. Thus, a bonfire ascetic is an object that allows you to train and practice self-discipline in the pursuit of higher goals by making your experience of the physical world around you harder.