The Bell Keepers are a pvp and invasion-themed Covenant in Dark Souls 2. Upon joining the covenant the player will be given a Bell Keeper's Seal ring, and five Rusted Coins after talking to the dwarf. One's objective as a Bell Keeper is to defeat any trespasser that sets foot in the bell tower. However, if there are no viable hosts to invade in that tower, the player will invade the other tower instead. The covenant icon of the Bell Keepers will pulse with light when one is placed in the matchmaking queue. In Belfry Luna, invaders will often spawn near the top of the tower, next to the door which leads to the Belfry Gargoyles boss fight. If the world host manages to enter the boss fight during an invasion, the invader will be returned to their world. Spawn points for Belfry Sol, are usually near the ballista, near the bell switch, or near the exit. As an invader you're also unable to use healing items.
Covenant Leader: Belfry Luna/Belfry Sol marionette/Dwarf.
Where to Join: Belfry Luna/Belfry Sol
How to Join Bell Keepers
After reaching the Servants' Quarters bonfire in The Lost Bastille, climb down the nearby ladder and use a Pharros' Lockstone on the contraption next to the chest. Attack the glowing wall, then proceed through the wooden door. Speak to the dwarf on the right to join the covenant. (Be wary of the black marionette phantom at the entrance to the invasion zone.he will will attack once you reach the top of the ladder. He can hurt and kill the talking marionette.)
After reaching the Ironhearth Hall bonfire in Iron Keep, proceed until you reach a large room with movable platforms. Next to the lever is an iron door. Open the door and use a Pharros' Lockstone on the contraption, then attack the glowing wall to reveal a ladder. Climb up the first ladder, then the second one by the bonfire to reach the top. Speak to the marionette found there to join the covenant.
- You still can heal by casting healing miracles such as Great Heal or the healing pyromancy Warmth, or by certain equipment like the Ring of Restoration, Loyce Shield, Crown of the Ivory King, or upon each successful hit of the Butcher's Knife.
- Upon successfully vanquishing the opponent, the player will be rewarded with a random item from this pool: Titanite Chunk, Titanite Slab, Twinkling Titanite, Petrified Dragon Bone. (Added with Patch 1.10) Reward rate appears to be ~83%, 7%, 5%, 5% respectively (needs further testing)
- Being a member of this covenant will also cause certain enemies to drop covenant items. The Undead Aberrations in Sinners' Rise will drop Bell Keeper Bows and Bell Keeper Shields with high frequency. They also drop even though you are not part of the covenant.
To gain ranks in this covenant, one must defeat world hosts when invading as a Gray Phantom, or defeat Red Phantoms that invade the Belfries. Your total rank score is a combination of both. (e.g. 5 defeated hosts + 5 defeated Red Phantoms will raise one's rank from rank 0 to rank 1).
The rank system is confirmed. The Red Phantom Bell Keepers do not count towards the rank system because they are in fact Bell Keepers.
To gain rank 3 in the covenant, it's necessary to ring the bells in both Belfry Sol and Belfry Luna, in addition to defeating 100 trespassers.
|0||Initial||Bell Keeper's Seal, 5 Rusted coins|
|1||Defeat 10 trespassers||Titanite Slab|
|2||Defeat 30 trespassers||Hidden Weapon|
|3||Defeat 100 trespassers||Bell Keeper Set|
- One cannot remove their covenant ring during an invasion.
- One can be summoned to the Belfries in most areas of the game, but not all of them. The covenant icon will pulse with light if the area allows summoning.
- One can be invaded by up to two gray phantoms at once (three in SotFS).
- Being a Bell Keeper does NOT prevent other Bell Keepers from invading one's world.
- Vanquishing another player through this covenant does not increase one's sin.
- In Belfry Sol, there is a slim chance a Mad Warrior red phantom will spawn. Defeating him will increase rank in this covenant.
- In Belfry Sol, there is a very small chance for a Bell Keeper NPC to invade (works offline or online). Defeating him will increase rank in the covenant.
- Successfully vanquishing a world host will restore one's equipment, Estus Flask charges and spell uses upon return
- Dying in the Belfries as a gray phantom, with Dragon Stone Armor equipped, will result in the removal of the armor upon returning to one's world.
- Vanquishing opponents within this covenant is one of the most effective methods for gathering a large amount of Titanite Chunks early on in the game.
- The closer you are to either Belfry Luna or Belfry Sol, the higher the chance of invading (Tested with both bell keeper areas and it did affect where i was summoned and how frequently i was summoned.)
- Sometimes it takes a while to be summoned, so its a good idea to wait in an infrequently invaded area. A good location would be The Blue Cathedral, as you cannot be invaded there, but you can be summoned into the Belfries there.
- Rank up offline by listening when console loaded the Mad Warrior into the game. Only works with Playstation 3 and physical disc. Video guide.
- Ranked up offline by adding Bonfire Ascetic to Belfry Sol so Mad Warrior spawns more frequently. Can achieve level 3 in a relatively short time using Feather or Homeward.
- No Titanite Chunks dropped for killing Mad Warrior.