The Blue Sentinels are a PvP covenant in Dark Souls 2. The Blue Sentinels protect the weak, by wearing the Guardian's Seal ring that allows them to be summoned to members of the Way of the Blue when they are being invaded. Sentinels cannot attack or interact with regular Enemies in the host's world, as their objective is to defeat the invader and punish the guilty. Sentinels get a red eye indicator that floats above their head upon being summoned and proceeds to guide them to the invader no matter where they might be. Upon defeating the host's invader the Sentinel will receive 1 Token of Fidelity. Sentinels don't have to wear the ring to invade guilty worlds or to start a duel match. You must be human to protect Way of the Blue members.
How to Join Blue Sentinels
Talk to Blue Sentinel Targray after having obtained a Token of Fidelity either through helping another player defeat a boss as a white phantom or by finding the one on the corpse beneath the rope bridge in Huntsman's Copse.
Blue Sentinels is the only covenant that can use Cracked Blue Eye Orbs, which allow them to invade the worlds of sinners and wretches. They have to be human to be able to use these orbs. A player becomes a sinner if they have gained 10 points of sin by killing other players online with invasions or by killing NPCs. They become a wretch after gaining 100 points of sin. When a Blue phantom defeats a sinner or a wretch, they will lose 1 point of sin. When using the Cracked Blue Eye Orb, Blue phantoms are unable to use healing items such as the Estus Flask, but they can heal themselves with Spells.
You can farm Cracked Blue Eye Orbs in many ways:
- Common drop from Old Knights at Heide's Tower of Flame.
- Drops from multiple other enemies.
- Possibly given when exchanging Small Smooth & Silky Stones with Dyna and Tillo.
- Can be obtained by winning a sparring match in the Cathedral of Blue.
- You can buy unlimited orbs from Blue Sentinel Targray for 10.000 souls each in NG+.
(Can not use bonfire ascetics for NG+ to get orbs in SOTFS)
Much like the Brotherhood of Blood, Blue Sentinels can also gain devotion by defeating other Sentinels in duels. To enter a duel, pray at one of the three statues by The Blue Cathedral bonfire. At least one Token of Fidelity (rather than a Token of Spite) is required. This will be consumed upon entering the duel. It will not be consumed if you leave the statue before finding a match or if your opponent disconnects before the duel begins. Each statue leads to a different arena:
- Left: A labyrinthine arena with 2 levels. Each side has a ramp to reach the upper level, and the lower level can be jumped down to.
- Center: A cross-shaped bridge over a bottomless pit. Careless duelists often fall to their deaths in this arena.
- Right: A wide-open arena with stairs to a lower level. Relatively few obstacles or hiding places.
If a match is not found in the chosen arena, you will be matched with a duelist in another arena.
Just as in the Brotherhood, most offensive items can be used in the arena, but most healing items cannot. You still can heal by casting healing miracles such as Great Heal or the healing pyromancy Warmth, or by certain equipment like the Ring of Restoration, Loyce Shield, Crown of the Ivory King, and upon each successful hit of the Butcher's Knife.
To obtain ranks in this covenant, you need a certain amount of victories. In this case, a victory means either:
- Vanquish dark phantom when summoned as help by a Way of Blue host: Devotion to covenant up +1. Patch 1.10
- A won duel in the Cathedral of Blue.
- Defeating a sinner when you invade using a Cracked Blue Eye Orb.
You won't ever lose these victory points or ranks.
|1||50 victories||Spirit Tree Shield, aesthetic blue aura as a Blue phantom|
|2||150 victories||Wrath of the Gods, aesthetic neon blue glow as a Blue phantom|
|3||500 victories||Bountiful Sunlight, Targray's Set|
- Guardian's Seal: Has to be worn (while human) to be able to get summoned to Way of the Blue members who are being invaded.
- Token of Fidelity: Required and consumed when dueling with a fellow covenant member. Can also be used as an item to restore some HP. Obtained by defeating invaders or bosses in co-op.
Notes, Hints, and Tips
- Talking to Blue Sentinel Targray after reaching rank 3 will cause him to give you his armor set.
- Even if you are a Blue Sentinel you still can be invaded by an Arbiter Spirit (Blue Phantom).
- As your rank increases the blue aura that surrounds you when you invade will grow at rank 1 and 2.
- You can be summoned to defend a Way of the Blue member while your white summon sign is down.
- You can also be summoned if you're wearing the ring while resting at a bonfire, so it's a smart move to unequip this ring before going AFK.
- A way to gain souls via this covenant is either protecting a host or killing Phantoms when invading.
- A way to get summoned more frequently with the Guardian's Seal is by removing the ring and putting it back on with about one to five minute intervals.
- When invading the world of a sinner, it's possible to arrive in a different area than the one where you used your Cracked Blue Eye Orb.
- While invading in Heide's Tower of Flame, it is common for there to be Cracked Blue Eye Orbs dropped from mobs, thus nullifying the cost to invade.