Soul Greatsword is a Sorcery in Dark Souls 2. To cast a Sorcery, you must use a Staff or Special Weapons that can cast Sorcery.
"A sorcery that attacks foes using a sword made of souls. Energy is focused in a single point, and wielded as a sword with both hands.
Use of this sorcery is not too dissimilar to swordplay, and so inherently endangers the caster."
- Drangleic Castle. After reaching the central bonfire, head towards the elevator and climb the ladder on your right. Following the room with the stone soldiers, it will be located in one of the two chests.
- Creates a magic horizontal slash in the shape of a sword. Damage falls off at farther distances. Good for groups, but be wary of the windup.
- Ignores (goes through) barriers like walls and railings. Great for taking out an enemy who thinks he is safe.
- If the catalyst casting this spell is wielded in the left hand, the soul greatsword will swing from right to left, it is the opposite if wielded in the right hand.
- If you cast soul great-sword at the right time before a back-stab animation your character will keep the soul great-sword for the duration of the enemies back-stab and if it touches your enemy at all it will do massive damage. (untested) I speak purely from personal experience but it has happened to me several times. may explain why many people complain about this spells laggy and/or phantom hitbox