Entity of Avarice (Mimic) is an enemy in Dark Souls 2.
Like the mimics of Dark Souls 1, these mimics are fairly easy to discern from regular chests. Wooden mimics have a small face-like ornament on their clasp. Black metal mimics have two clasps that ordinary chests do not have. Furthermore, if one moves their view to place a chest between the camera and their character, a normal chest will block it as if panning into a wall, while a mimic will not. If you angle your camera close to the ground so it zooms in on the front of the chest, mimic chest lids are slightly open which allows you to see the teeth. They do not seem to occasionally breathe the way the mimics did in DS1, but a Lloyd's Talisman will still disable them and make them offer their items without a fight.
Both types of chests, metal and wooden, can be struck as a means of checking for mimicry. One must be careful however, not overdo it. If a player inadvertently destroys the chest when checking for a mimic (happens if you strike the chest 3 times), they will be left with Rubbish.
- The easiest way to handle a mimic is to hit them several times while they are unfurling. If you have a fairly well upgraded weapon, they won't survive long.
- After about 4-5 seconds they will lash out and grab anything in a moderately large range around them, probably leading to death. Once they are fully open, they have a number of leaping or gap-closing attacks, as well as a round kick. Their defense remains weak however, and their counter-window is seemingly quite large, making the Old Leo Ring very useful with the proper weapon. Both in front of it and behind it are unsafe, so hug its side to attack and then evade.
- Using a Lloyd's Talisman on a mimic will disable it for easy killing or taking its drops without a fight, though leaving mimics alive is fairly pointless now that mimics have no random drop items like the Symbol of Avarice.
- Using the pyromancies Poison Mist or Toxic Mist will let you damage a mimic without causing it to aggro. This also works if you are unsure a chest is a mimic, because it will not destroy a regular chest's contents.
- Mimics will not respond to damage caused by poison. Using the Moon Butterfly Set will poison the mimic to death without any aggro.
|NG: 720 - 1,150
NG+: 1,350 - 1,500
- Wooden Chest Mimic
- Metal Chest Mimic
- Two Handed Sword Attack
- Running Attack
- Acid Spit
- Earthen Peak mimic drops
- Iron Keep mimic drops
- Doors of Pharros mimic drops
- Aldia's Keep mimic drops
- Dragon Shrine mimic drops
- Crown of the Ivory King mimics drop:
- Symbol of Avarice
- Catarina Armor
Bonfire Intensity 2+ only. Replaces the metal chest in the path towards the Forest of Fallen Giants. Drops Rusted Coin.
- Earthen Peak
same as original DS2.
- The Gutter
same as original DS2.
- Brightstone Cove Tseldora
Iron Chest inside well near 1st bonfire, drops Dark Leggings and Staff of Wisdom.
- Drangleic Castle
Upstairs in the hall with the Executioner's horse, drops Washing Pole and a Petrified Dragon Bone.
- Aldia's Keep
To the left of the Foregarden bonfire. Iron chest, drops Dark Mask and Malformed Skull.(Sunset Staff now available from Felkin the Outcast at 20/20 INT/FTH).
Two Mimics are already activated in the hanging cages in the long hallway after the giant basilisk. These cages can be lowered with a switch in the locked room to the side of the hallway (Requires the Aldia Key).
3 mimics (1 Iron, 2 Wood): Cracked Red Eye Orbx2 - Aldia's Keep - 1st Wood chest in the locked side room.
Wilted Dusk Herbx3 - Aldia's Keep - 2nd Wood chest in the locked side room.
Bonfire Ascetic - Aldia's keep - Iron chest in the locked side room.
Black Witch's Staff - Aldia's Keep - 1st Cage
Fragrant Branch of Yore - Aldia's Keep - 2nd Cage
- Frozen Eleum Loyce
One near the Inner Wall bonfire, drops Symbol of Avarice.
One in a tower in the ramparts, drops Catarina Armor.
They are encased in ice until you speak to Alsanna, Silent Oracle.
- NG: 1,500 - 2,500 Souls,NG+ 3,000 - 5,000 Souls, NG+7: 6,000 - 10,000 Souls.