Benhart of Jugo is an NPC in Dark Souls 2
Benhart of Jugo Information
- NPC holding a BlueMoon Greatsword (Not to be confused with the real Moonlight Greatsword) in the path between Majula and the Shaded Woods. When you rescue Rosabeth of Melfia, he will thank you and become available for summons.
- Teaches you the gesture Joy
- Proud of his sword, a family heirloom, Benhart is convinced it has a powerful magic only a true swordsman can unlock. Unfortunately, it is a fake. Maughlin the Armourer will confirm this if you take the blade to him.
- Upon slaying Benhart, Merchant Hag Melentia will sell his armor.
- Defeating 3 bosses with Benhart alive and then speaking to him in Drangleic Castle or the Memory of Orro will award you with the Moonlight Greatsword achievement and the Bluemoon Greatsword, Benhart's Parma, and Benhart's Set. The bosses do not have to be different ones, as a Bonfire Ascetic can be used to respawn the same boss repeatedly.
- DLC bosses do not appear to add to this count.
Majula. Sitting near entrance to Shaded Woods, waiting for someone to clear the path.
Drangleic Castle. Sitting near Central Castle bonfire.
Forest of Fallen Giants. Sitting in front of fallen giant past the Pursuer's boss arena.
Memory of Orro. Sitting in front of player's spawn, next to the stairs.
- When first encountered in the entrance to Shaded Woods
- Have you business with me?
The way yonder's all blocked up you see. By this god-awful statue.
Heavens above. Who thought it a good idea to put it there!
- Ohhhh, I'm in quite the pickle now.
See that statue? Gives me the willies. Stare at it for long enough, it starts to look alive.
Ach, It just does nae seem quite right. There are no craftsmen round these parts.
Hey, you don't think a real-life person was turned to stone, do you?
- Talk after clearing the path to Shaded Woods
- What?! Clearing the way was your doing, was it?
Haah, didn't think you had it in yer pal.
No no no. That's not like it sounds, you know! It was a pleasant surprise, that's all.
Name's Benhart. Thanks to you, I can resume my journey.
If we share the same path, I'm sure that we are gonna meet again.
I'll repay my debt to you in battle. And I swear it by my sword.
The road ahead's gonna be long, but I'm here to help. Gah hah hah hah hah!
- I am in yer debt.
It's a true man who honours his debts. And I'll see mine paid.
I swear it, by my ancient sword.
- When first encountered in Drangleic Castle
- Ho! Well met, friend.
Good to see you well. Yes, hehh hehh, very good indeed.
- I journeyed from the distant east to perfect my swordsmanship.
Legend has it that powerful beings slumber in this land.
This sword, it's been in my family for generations. And only a real man can wield it true.
I may face any manner of man or beast, but none shall be a match for my sword. Heh heh heh heh…
- This land is a right mess, eh?
King's gone, and the people have a mad glint in their eyes.
The land itself is overrun by terrible beasts.
No better place to test my sword, ey? Heh heh heh heh…
- When first encountered in Forest of the Fallen Giants
- Well, we meet again! What you doing here?
Who'dve thought we'd meet in a place like this.
Fate just won't let us stay apart, will she? Gah hah hah hah hah hah!
- See the old sword's caught your attention? Well, you've a good eye, then.
Ah, it's been in my family for generations.
They say it is crafted with moonlight, and we all know what that means, it wards off evil.
And I would nae trade her for all the riches in the world.
They say that no man has ever teased oot the sword's true power.
But in the right hands…Heh heh heh heh heh heh…
- I see you've taken a liking to the sword. Well, I applaud you, for you've a sharp eye.
But this is one sword pal that I will nae be giving up.
If you still insist on having it…
Then you will have to pry it from my cold hands! Gah hah hah hah hah hah!
- I've a great debt to you. And I'll never forget it.
I, Benhart, swear by my honour, to aid you in your darkest hour! So nae problem pal.
- When first encountered in Memory of Orro
- Oh! Look at you! Old friend!
I see yer travels weigh upon you yet.
Just remember, I'm always ready to help.
- My homeland is in the far east. A kingdom of honourable fighting men.
And this sword yet awaits a true man to wield it.
I know how swords think, you see! Gah hah hah hah!
- When giving equipment to the player
We have outwitted death a good many times.
Huh huh, My dear friend, take these.
- When attacked but not aggroed
What in bloody…!
Enough with that!
- When attacked and aggroed
Very well. I, Benhart, will be honoured to chop you to pieces.
- When killing the player
You knew this would happen…
- When re-encountered after aggroing
You're a sorry waste of life…
- When attacked and health is under 50%
Hey! How dare you!
- When killed
What's done…urgh… Is done…
A man's journey…is never done…
- The easiest method of obtaining his gear/achievement is widely debated, so multiple methods are mentioned here.
- Summoning Benhart in Memory of Jeigh to fight the Giant Lord after talking with him in Memory of Orro is perhaps the easiest method to get his gear. To reset and allow another summon in Memory of Jeigh, use an ascetic on The Place Unbeknownst bonfire after killing the Giant Lord on the current intensity. The main issue with this method is that Benhart (and most NPC phantoms for that matter) tends to be incredibly stupid when trying to make him survive a fight (Lucatiel on ng+ Sinner...) , which is problematic in the Memory of Jeigh because of the constant fireballs, rolling statue head, and the damage the Giant Lord inflicts with his skyscraper-esque sword, but if Benhart survives to the end, it is undoubtedly the fastest method.
- Dying can be used to reset the encounter should Benhart die before you are able to kill the boss. The Homeward Bone, Homeward Miracle, and the Aged Feather can all be used to reset the encounter should Benhart die. Returning you to your last visited bonfire in the process.
- Alternatively, you can also use Bonfire Ascetics to reset the Prowling Magus and the Congregation boss fight three times to get the items. This is an easy fight where it is unlikely either you or Benhart will die. There is a bit of a distance between the boss and Benhart's summon sign, so the walking back and forth is the longest part. It is also advisable you clear out all the enemies leading from his sign to the boss fight before you summon him, just to be safe. Unfortunately, AI stupidity also comes into play here, as Benhart seems apt to fall off the ledge where the boulders come down, making this method, while easy if done well, incredibly annoying to watch your achievement walk off a ledge multiple times.
- Bonfire Ascetics can also be used to fight the Looking Glass Knight multiple times. Be sure to equip the Red Eye Ring as the Looking Glass Knight will focus Benhart when he gets low health.
- As with any NPC phantom, any combination of these methods will result in the desired effect, it just depends on what you believe to be the fight both you and Benhart can survive consistently with increasing difficulty. So long as you and Benhart complete 3 of any of these fights (or 2 of one and 1 of another, etc.) and he survives each, he will reward you with his gear and achievement if spoken to in the area behind the Pursuer fight.